Mapping Digital Spaces

What is a Digital Map?

A digital map is essentially a map that shows our interactions and engagement with different digital tools we use everyday. For this specific map, there is a grid with 4 quadrants: personal, professional, visitor, and resident.

Learn more about Visitor and Resident.
David White coined the terms visitor and resident. He explains that these terms are used to show a range of ways that individuals can engage with digital tools based on their motivation and interest. It is important to make note of the fact that the visitor-resident line is a continuum, not two separate categories. When in resident mode, the individual's interest is to be with and connect to people online; this usually leaves some form of online, social presence behind on the web. When in visitor mode, the individual's motivation is a clear goal or task where they use the appropriate digital tool to help them accomplish that task; this does not leave any online, social presence behind on the web. 

My Digital Map 

When I initially thought of the digital tools I use regularly, I didn't think there were many. I took a looked at my iPhone applications, my online bookmarks, and my go-online applications and was surprised at how many applications I actually use regularly! I went ahead and created my own digital map!  

Images/Icons from Google Images 

I am not really surprised by how many digital tools/applications I use that are only used for personal engagement. I believe this is because I am not teaching yet, so I do not use many professional sites and resources that hopefully one day I will. While using most of my digital tools, I noticed that I am mostly in visitor mode. This is because most of the applications I use are related to orientated goals that I am trying to accomplish quick and fast for some sort of immediate information or response.  My resident-personal quadrant is primarily my social media accounts that I use regularly to interact with friends and family which leaves my permanent web presence. Lastly, MY BLOG is my first major resident-professional digital tool that I use. So far I am loving blogging and see myself utilizing blogs for personal use and as an educator in the future!

This experience of creating my own digital map made me think deeply on my motivations for using my specific digital tools. I would encourage all people to map out their digital tools to actually see their web use and reflect on their motivations and interests while using the tools. I will most definitely update my digital space at the end of my Masters program and when I am actively teaching because I have a feeling I will have plenty to add. 




Comments

  1. Great idea to update your map after the wrap of your masters. I'd also encourage you to revisit it once you begin to teach as well. I look forward to reading about it on your blog years from now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you briefly explained digital mapping at the top of your assignment in a very clear way. We use a lot of the same apps. I also hope to discover and use more professional resources by the end of my masters program as when I have my own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're explanation of digital maps was clear and made a lot of sense. We use a lot of similar applications, and I noticed a few ones that you have that I forgot to put onto mine, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I love that your blog is clear and thoughtful. You definitely have a sense of blogging and I hope you continue doing it. I found this post interesting because your digital space map is totally opposite to mine. I have a ton of professional accounts which is sometimes difficult to keep up with. If you just focus on blogging, I think you will do great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment