TPACK Is Not WACK

TPACK Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge

What is it?

First and foremost, TPACK is a framework for planning and understanding how technology is used and how it could be fit into the curriculum. This framework is meant for educators to use as guides when reflecting on the use of technology in their practice and classroom. 

Specifically, TPACK combines three different knowledge areas:

Content: The specific subject matter we are teaching. Ex: math, science, history. 

Pedagogy: How we teach in content areas using the appropriate methods and strategies. 

Technology: Different technological tools that are our partners in helping us deliver the content through the different strategies we see fit. 

Overlap Sections 


TPACK Diagram  
TPK: Educators in this section know the range of different technologies available and how to pair them to the best teaching methods, but are not very strong in their content area. 

TCK: Educators in this section know that their content area can be enhanced by technology, but don't know the appropriate teaching methods to incorporate it efficiently and effectively.  

PCK: Educators in this section know how to use teaching strategies to teach their content area. 


TPACK: When all three areas of work together, it aims to increase student motivation by making content more accessible to meet their needs!

Dotted Line: The dotted line refers to the context in which we teach. Every context will hold different elements. 


Where Do I Stand? 

Currently as a educator, I stand in the PCK area. I have a Bachelors degree in Biology, and I feel like I have a strong background in my content area. Through my Masters program for secondary education, I feel like I am also gaining essential knowledge and skills on the teaching methods needed to appropriately deliver content to my students to enhance learning. This is the reason I am floating around in the PCK area. 

However, this class is helping me to incorporate technological knowledge to my already existing pedagogical and content knowledge. Through this course, I am attempting to integrate the appropriate technology to my teaching strategies and content in an effort to move to the sweet spot of TPACK! I hope to gain all the knowledge and skills necessary in this class so I can fully incorporate TPACK into my daily lessons. The goal is to reflect on my own integration of technology in the classroom so I can increase students motivation and make the content as accessible as I can to meet their needs. 

Tears or Fears?

One of the major fears I had was that today's students are so immersed in technology and social media that I would have to compete to get their attention and interest in my content. Incorporating the  student's technology of interest in my content delivery will help give my students the motivation they  need to immerse themselves in the content using the appropriate technology outlet. 

Example: Using Twitter as a form of microblogging. Twitter is one of the hottest social media sites  right now, and biology is full of  knowledge, facts, and real world controversies. Students can tweet to real people about their opinions on topics being discussed in class. I am using TPACK as a framework for my teaching by trying to incorporate all my knowledge areas. 

Still have tears or fears? TPACK can be applied to all content areas. CITE Journal gives a great general overview of TPACK along with information, case studies, and articles about the benefits of incorporating TPACK in different content areas. 
CITE Journal




Comments

  1. Michelle,
    I completely agree with you that students are so immersed in technology that I am stuck in a spot where I do not know what to do. I have seen three year olds use a tablet better than I can. I fear that technology is decreasing the opportunities students have to have face to face interactions and I often find students not knowing how to introduce themselves to one another. I have come to find that I sometimes need to back away from technology and be silly and goofy when teaching a content. For example, when teaching expanded form, 345= 300+40+5 I usually say 300 and do a squat and them jump over to show 40 and squat and then jump again to show 5 and squat and then students even enjoy doing it with me!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. It scares me that my niece and nephew know how to work a tablet better than I can. I like your strategy too because you are getting the kids engaged and active in order to help them learn! I definitely do think that the amount of technology used in class depends on the age group and the content. Also, technology should always be used as a tool and a partner to the educator not as a supplement.

      Delete
  2. Great explanation of TPACK and where you fit! One of the things I like about this model is how it provides equal weight to content knowledge, pedagogy AND technology. You have to be well versed in all three to achieve success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    I found your comments interesting about your fears of students losing interest because of increased focus on technology. I find that with the younger kids, because there is SO much focus on technology in their households, they really love the more hands-on work in the classroom! So, as far as technology goes, I think reverting back to the "old-school"/"low-tech" tools may be the way to go. Although the high-tech tools can be a good supplement to our lessons, having students interact with other tools can be rewarding for them. Perhaps this is the way to get our kids engaged, because this may be what's new to them or something they don't get enough of anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment