Web 2.0 Tools For You!

What are Web 2.0 Tools?

Web 2.0 tools are online tools and resources that focus on active learning! Web 2.0 tools are meant to help educators incorporate and facilitate interactive sharing and collaboration among students instead of simple, boring content delivery.

Web 2.0 Tools Examples 


  • Google Docs: a tool that allows for collaboration in the classroom among students and teachers for more interactive learning. 
  • YouTube: a tool that allows you to view informative videos as well as share and create your own. 
  • Twitter: a tool that allows for social learning/networking as well as provides a form of microblogging. 
These are just some common and well known examples of social network sites that you maybe haven't realized can be useful for active learning! While these are only 3 examples, there are SO MANY MORE Web 2.0 tools that can be utilized for learning. 

I wanted to explore something new that I could incorporate in my future classroom. During my student teaching observations, my cooperating teacher told me she uses a Kahoot quiz one time per unit. I haven't seen her use it, but she told me it's a fun quiz game for her students. I also often talk to my niece and help her with her school work; she has told me several times that she plays Kahoot in her science class and that she loves it. At this point, I've heard about it many times but never got to see it, so this is my opportunity to explore Kahoot! 

Kahoot!

Image result for kahoot icon
Google Image


Kahoot is a game-based learning site. It allows teachers to create real-time quizzes for students. Teachers launch the quiz and students log in through an app and have access to the quiz. It can be collaborative, interactive, and competitive. 





Screen Cast exploring key features and how-to! 


Screen cast highlights:
  • You can personalize your Kahoot Account to content and grade level.
  • You can search already made Kahoots. 
  • You can create quizzes, jumble games, discussions, and surveys. 
  • You can incorporate videos, images, and credit resources. 
  • You can set time limits on questions. 
  • Teachers can download and analyize results.  

Comments

  1. Great screencast explaining Kahoot! It is a fun site- I've never seen a student roll their eyes when being told there would be a Kahoot quiz :)

    Thanks for listing the highlights of your screencast- it gave me an idea of what to expect and I appreciated seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your podcast on Kahoot was great! Honestly, I still haven't gotten used to the whole narration thing...
    Your explanation really gave me an idea of all there is to know about Kahoot. I didn't know you could do so much with it. It's a really great resource for teachers. I especially like how you mentioned that you can look at Kahoots that are already made based on subject/grade, that was cool to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this. I was getting frustrated with Kahoot just this week and your screencast is super helpful! It loos like a fun and interactive way to engage your class! I like that use one's that were in and that teachers can download and analyse the results! It looks more fun than paper guides for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your analysis of Kahoot. I have heard of it several times and have even participated in a Kahoot quiz but was unaware of some of the additional features such as incorporating videos and images. I remember playing Jeopardy in grade school to review for tests and it was a simple click and see the answer but nothing as interactive or advanced as this. With all the technology flooding students today, I think this is a great tool that will allow students to stay engaged and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,

    Learning about Kahoot was certainly a hoot! :)

    I am extremely excited to see some tools that implement fun strategies into them. From a science perspective it certainly scores me points to find fun tools to engage my material, even when it is sometimes more bland. Going forward, if you see any other tools that would stick out for science, please feel free to connect as I know you are in the same field.


    Take care,

    Chris C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle-
    I think Kahoot is a great interactive tool to use in the classroom. It encourages students to participate and have them retain more knowledge in comparison to the traditional lecture method of teaching. Additionally, the Kahoot game fosters competitiveness among students. It would encourage them to develop brainstorming, teamwork, and collaboration skills. I think this tool would work best among younger generations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment